Why this Blog

Hi. Welcome to my blog. I want to live a healthy life and have it be a habit. Not just a diet for a short change. Thus, the title for this blog. All things in moderation. Here I will share my ups and downs as I struggle for a moderate lifestyle. I hope you will come along and maybe we can learn together.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Tips from Beck Diet Solution

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0848731735/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=4236590319&ref=pd_sl_26dnfnvnk2_e



I am really liking this book! I know if I follow the steps, I can get over my eating issues and make consistent, healthy choices.

This book is based on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I am a BIG fan of CBT due to some personal experiences me and my husband have had with this. So, I was really excited to get this book. Judith Beck, Ph.D. is the author of this book. Her father is the founder of Cognitive Therapy.

The book is set up so that the first 14 days you aren't even supposed to start your 'diet'. You can but Ms. Beck really wants us to follow certain steps and really get mentally prepared and equipped to start. I have to admit that I've already started my 'diet'. I say 'diet' because this is really the way I want to live the rest of my life.

Here is a brief synopsis of the first few days.

Day 1 - Record the Advantages of Losing Weight. She calls these Advantages Response Cards. Write down ALL the reasons you want to lose weight. Put them on index cards and tape them up anywhere and everywhere. You need to read them at least twice daily. And, read again if you are struggling.

Day 2 - Pick two Reasonable Diets
We all need a plan or 'diet' to follow. She said to pick two because we'll have a back up if we decide the first isn't working. There are two different kinds of 'diets' - those with specific foods and meals and those where you choose your own foods but have to fit into certain criteria (calorie counting, limiting fats, carbs, etc.).

Day 3 - Eat Sitting Down
This one is key for me. I really need to eat sitting down so I eat mindfully. Don't eat anything 'on the go', in the grocery store, etc. Every bite adds up. So, when your toddler likes to feed you his M&M's, don't let him! Anyone else have that problem?

Day 4 - Give Yourself Credit
This is a hard one for me. I don't give myself credit unless I've done EVERYTHING perfectly. We need to give ourselves credit for every single success we have. That way, if we mess up and eat something we shouldn't have, we don't let it derail us! We move on and start again right then. I tend to let one bad thing I eat turn into several days of eating whatever and not caring. Ms. Beck recommends posting reminders for yourself to remember to give yourself credit. Like, posting CREDIT on your fridge, make into a screensaver, put a penny into a jar for everything you do correctly, etc.

Day 5 - Eat Slowly and Mindfully
I think this really goes hand in hand with eating while sitting down. When we eat slowly, our brain has more time to register that you're full and we'll feell more satisfied when we notice each and every bite. This is sometimes hard for me since I usually eat with three little boys who always need something. Honestly, eating with them often causes me to stress. So, I try to eat breakfast and lunch after them and only eat supper with them. I read to them while they eat their other meals and snacks. I've been trying to do this lately and it has really helped me.

No comments:

Post a Comment